The skills to pay the bills
Some of the wisest cats I know once said:
I've got the skills to pay the bills ya'll
I got the got the got the skills to pay the bills
I've got the skills to pay the bills
Truer words have never been spoken. And this from the Beastie Boys, longer ago than this hip-hop fan would care to admit.
Why do I dig so deep into pop arcana? Well, the news of Neil Ashe's recently announced move to Wal-Mart got me thinking, that's why.
Naturally, it raises the question: "Is digital talent migrating from online publishing to online business?" I'd respond that the question itself is ill-posed - or at least incomplete. These days, the simple truth is that an online business is an online business, and digital talent is digital talent. The traditional publisher, commerce, marketer, and enterprise distinctions are becoming increasingly abstract and irrelevant.
I've been saying it for a year or so now - and I'll keep on saying it: This is an exciting time for the average digital media professional, regardless of specific function or relative seniority, because the evolution of the consumer web means that you have the tiger by the tail. You are insanely employable, not just by media companies, but by enterprises who are just now trying to get their heads around personal, machine-driven experiences that give their consumers more of what they want. While some might write them off as outliers without relevance to more traditional business-to-consumer or business-to-business interactions, the techniques pioneered in digital media and marketing today will soon enable digital interactions that enterprises in the middle majority actively seek to emulate.
So kudos to our friend Neil Ashe - and to all the rest of you out there looking to take what you've pioneered, defined, invented, and perfected in digital media over the last twenty years or so to advance the wholesale consumer web revolution that is now upon us.
Rock on, fellow digerati. Let's go change the world.
Recent Company Posts
- Feb 20, 2015 Time Inc. Deepens Data Savvy With Krux
- Feb 13, 2015 Krux and the IAB Kingmakers
- Feb 04, 2015 Buckle Up! Edmunds.com Revs Up Direct and Programmatic Powered by Krux’s DMP
- Oct 13, 2014 Velocity is the Next Frontier for Big Data
- Sep 18, 2014 Company-Building: Old School Versus New School
- Feb 20, 2014 “Mobile DMP: Dead At Design Time” featured on AdExchanger
- Jan 23, 2014 “Marketers 5 key questions, Synchronicity and The College Party” featured on Adotas.
- Nov 08, 2013 On The Merits Of Being Unreasonable (And Why Steve Jobs Isn’t My Idol)
- Oct 09, 2013 Giving Authority Part 2
- Oct 02, 2013 Giving Authority