Q&A With Krux Founder & CEO Tom Chavez
Today, our co-founder & CEO Tom Chavez shared his thoughts on the company’s recent public launch with our friends over at AdExchanger.com.
AdExchanger.com: How is this platform addressing data leakage (see Chavez recent opinion piece) unlike other publisher-side platforms?
TC: We believe that publishers need to solve the data protection problem before they plunge into data management and monetization. Obviously data leakage and data collection have been getting a lot of press lately. Regardless of what unfolds in the press, Congress or the FTC, all the publishers we’re talking to already have a clear interest in demonstrating responsible stewardship of consumer data. The first part of our platform, Data Sentry, detects who’s grabbing data on a publisher’s site – what we refer to as a ‘collector,’ who’s ushering in those collectors – we call those guys ‘ushers,’ how much data collection is occurring, across which sections, audiences, and channels, with the ability to drill into individual pixels, individual collectors, individual ushers. Because of the variety of browser and HTML standards out there, identifying how collectors and ushers chain themselves together and reliably measuring data leakage at scale turns out to be really hard.
Beyond the privacy issue, which is a biggie, it’s clear that publishers who leak data are leaking money. So Data Sentry offers a KPI on the revenue exposure from unauthorized data collection. By measuring the opportunity cost from data leakage in this way, our Data Sentry adopters can start to recapture lost revenue one nickel at a time.
Finally, there’s latency. As all those rogue pixels accumulate on a publisher’s site, it takes longer and longer for their pages to load. That’s a bad thing for the user in any context, but now that Google and Bing are moving to factor page load times into their rankings, it also degrades the publisher’s traffic from search referrals. So publishers have a basic operational need to clean up their pages and manage down the overpixelation that’s going on. Data Sentry helps them do that by measuring the latency impact from individual pixels, ushers, and collectors.
Read the Q&A in its entirety here.
Recent Company Posts
- Feb 20, 2014 “Mobile DMP: Dead At Design Time” featured on AdExchanger
- Jan 23, 2014 “Marketers 5 key questions, Synchronicity and The College Party” featured on Adotas.
- Nov 08, 2013 On The Merits Of Being Unreasonable (And Why Steve Jobs Isn’t My Idol)
- Oct 09, 2013 Giving Authority Part 2
- Oct 02, 2013 Giving Authority
- Sep 12, 2013 PEOPLE DATA MANAGEMENT: Premise and Promise
- Jul 02, 2013 Marketers Beware: ‘Data Leakage’ On The Web Affects You, Too
- May 03, 2013 Placements Are Dead, Long Live Data
- May 03, 2013 What Do Big Data and Butchers Have in Common?
- Mar 20, 2013 News & Views from Krux - March 2013 Newsletter